Hillsboro HS – College Resources – Check out this PDF of various college resources.
College Presentation for Juniors – Spring 2017 – Check out this PDF for a college presentation
Hillsboro College Presentation September 2016 – Check out this PDF for a college presentation for seniors
- Finding a college
- Common App
- International Baccalaureate
- Miscellaneous Resources
- First Generation College Students
- Test Optional Info
- Some colleges have a test optional policy, which means applicants may not have to submit any test scores to get accepted. FairTest.org has a list of colleges that have test-optional policies.
- For more info about whether or not to submit test scores to a test-optional college, see a good explanation from Hofstra on their Standardized Testing Policy page.
- Resources for students who are DACA or undocumented
- Tennessee Educational Equity Coalition
- Understanding FAFSA Eligibility – Basic info on FAFSA eligibility based on status and documentation
- Equal Chance for Education ECE’s mission is to enable opportunities for higher education without regard to race, religion, or nation of birth. ECE provides scholarships to “DREAMers” in Nashville, TN who are not eligible for student loans or financial aid because of their legal status.
- DREAMers Road Map – Helps students who are undocumented find scholarships and guidance.
- My (Un)Documented Life – Our mission at My (Un)Documented Life is to provide up-to-date information and resources to undocumented immigrants. We post scholarship opportunities that are open to undocumented students, strategies for navigating the educational system, and much more. Most importantly, we want to provide a sense of community to our diverse group of readers.
- MALDEF – Scholarships and resources
- Educators for Fair Consideration – Based in California, but has some helpful resources
- Collegeboard’s Resources for Undocumented Students
- Article: What some colleges are quietly doing to help undocumented students
college planning timelines
CFNC.org (from North Carolina, but it’s worth checking out)
The following timelines are specifically for senior year:
Planning Your Dreams– The Tennessee College and Career Planning System powered by Kuder. Extremely useful tool for all post-secondary planning needs. Use this activation code: N3788853VMH
Big Future– College Board’s college and career planning website.
Career Clusters- All careers are grouped into 16 different “career clusters.” Learn about these groupings and the careers that fit into each one of them.
Cappex– College search, college reviews, scholarships, and admissions information.
College for TN– The Tennessee Higher Education Commission’s portal to access public and private 2-year and 4-year institutions, as well as the Tennessee College of Applied Technology centers. Also has career exploration activities and links.
College Week Live– Online webinars regarding college fit, first-generation students, writing an application essay, financial aid, and more.
EduTrek– Free online college matching service.
MyMajors– take a free online assessment to help determine possible college majors, find matching colleges, and get hints and tips on applications.
Tennessee Promise– Graduates from a Tennessee high school can become eligible for two years of free college at one of the state’s community colleges, but only if they fulfill the requirements of the Tennessee Promise program.
Tennessee Transfer Pathway– Students following one of the Tennessee Transfer Pathway options will earn their Associate’s Degree at a Tennessee community college, and then they are guaranteed admission to one of Tennessee’s universities to complete their four-year degree.
YOUniversity TV– Can’t afford to visit all the colleges you’re interested in seeing? Try watching a video on YOUniversity TV!
“Inside the College Admissions Process at George Washington University”– A Washington Post article and video that gives an accurate view of the admissions process and discussions that take place at selective and highly selective universities.
Getting In – A podcast about the college admissions process.